This notice lets you know how we protect and manage all personal information we hold.
Collecting your Personal Information
Personal information is any information that identifies a person. At Ara personal information includes, but is not limited to:
- Name and contact details (home address, term address, phone number(s), email address
- Date of birth
- National student number (NSN)
- Statistical information required by the Tertiary Education Commission (example gender, ethnicity, last school, highest qualification)
- Educational history
- Residency status
We collect your personal information to:
- Manage the business of Ara (including internal reporting, administrative processes)
- Comply with the Education and Training Act 2020 and other legislation relating to maintenance of records
- Supply information to Government agencies and other organisations as set out below
- The Ministry of Education
- The Education New Zealand
- The New Zealand Qualifications Authority
- The Tertiary Education Commission
- The Ministry of Social Development (student loans and allowances)
- The Inland Revenue Department (student loans)
- Immigration New Zealand and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (for non-New Zealand citizens or permanent residents)
- Agencies who support particular students through scholarships, payment of fees or other awards
- Include your personal details (name, date of birth and residency) in the National Student Index. These may be used in an authorised information matching programme with the New Zealand Birth Register.
- When required by law we release information to government agencies such as the New Zealand Police, Department of Justice, Ministry of Social Development, and the Accident Compensation Corporation.
A Strategic Focus area for Ara is Learners at the Heart of everything we do, so we use a combination of Data Tools to analyse collected Data (such as attendance, assessment results) so that Ara staff can:
- plan and track coordinated and ad-hoc student support activities.
- proactively identify student learning needs to support student individualised learning pathways.
- effectively plan the resourcing of support services across campuses.
- plan and purchase printed material, digital media, and database subscriptions to meet student demand
- measure the effectiveness of student learning interventions
Accessing Personal Information
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. If you would like to ask for a copy of your information, or to have it corrected, please complete the form here and send to firstname.lastname@example.org, or Privacy Officer, Ara Institute of Canterbury, P O Box 540, Christchurch.
Privacy on our Website
CCTV is operated to provide protection and improve safety for individuals and to prevent crime.
All reasonable steps will be taken to check CCTV images are accurate, complete, relevant and not misleading before they are used.
Images collected with CCTV cameras will only be used or disclosed for the original purpose they were collected.
Images collected using CCTV will not be disclosed publicly without the consent of the individual(s) shown in the footage or after consultation with the Police