Kā Whare Noho
When moving to a new city to study, one of the most important decisions you need to make is where to live.
Ara has campuses in Christchurch, Ashburton, Timaru and Oamaru and each of these regions offers a range of accommodation options. You may decide to go flatting or opt for private board, or you might choose to live in a homestay.
In Christchurch, Ara’s Ōtautahi House (right across the road from the City campus) offers apartment-style accommodation with other students in a flat share. Preference will be given to students enrolling in full-time study, and those relocating to Christchurch for study from other regions.
International student accommodation
We encourage you to stay with a homestay family when you first arrive in New Zealand to study. A homestay provides a warm, family environment where you'll have your own room, share meals with the family and have the opportunity to practice your English every day. All of our homestays are carefully selected and supervised.
Our homestay services include:
- full inspection of all homes and interviews with host families
- airport pick-up
- police vetting of all host families
- a 'welcome pack' upon arrival
- banking assistance on your first day at Ara
- translators to assist communication
- follow-up meetings with you and your homestay family to ensure everyone is happy and comfortable