JazzQuest Big Band and Ensemble Competition – 3 - 4 August 2024
- The competition is divided up into Big Band (13-25 members) and Ensembles (8-12 members)
- Your band needs to give a 20 minute performance. You’ll have 30 minutes to get on stage, set up, play and get off stage.
- Your repertoire should reflect a diversity of jazz styles, and include at least one swing piece.
- A drum kit, piano, bass amp, keyboard amp, two guitar amps, three microphones, chairs and music stands will be provided for the performance. Warm up rooms will be set up with a piano, drum kit and amplifiers.
All groups competing will receive a percentage mark and written comment. Assessment is based on technique, accuracy, musicianship, presentation and ensemble.
Groups will be graded in the above areas, and will be eligible for Gold, Silver and Bronze certificates in each section, as follows:
- Gold certificate: 85-100%
- Silver certificate: 75-84%
- Bronze certificate: 60-74%
In addition, awards will be presented for:
- Best Big Band
- Best Ensemble
- Ensemble - $15 per person including GST
- Big Band - $15 per person including GST
We encourage the public to attend all competition sessions. Admission is by gold coin donation at the door.
Please have your application completed and entry fees paid by 27 June 2024.
Download the JazzQuest Ensemble and Big Band competition application form (PDF: 0.2MB).
Conditions of entry
- The competition is open to full time secondary school students. Bands with primary school students are able to apply for entry, and will be included in the competition if space allows.
- Participants must be 19 years of age or younger at the time of the competition.
- Big bands are not to exceed 25 members.
- One school staff member can be part of the band. Additional staff members will result in the band not being scored or being eligible for an award.
- Schools can enter as many groups as they like.
- Individuals can perform in both big bands and ensembles, but may perform in only one band from each section. An individual can only perform in a maximum of two bands.
- Two schools may join to form a group provided they stipulate this on the entry form. Only one entry form is required.
- Copies of scores must be presented on the day of the event by a representative of the participating group, prior to their performance. Please hand them to a JazzQuest staff member on arrival at the competition. These copies will not be returned.
- Schools are responsible for adhering to the relevant copyright laws - JazzQuest accepts no responsibility for infringements.
If you have any questions regarding JazzQuest, please contact Gwyn Reynolds at firstname.lastname@example.org