Animal Science programmes for 2023
Our suite of Animal Science programmes is currently being reviewed by Te Pukenga. We anticipate that once this process is completed, we will offer the following qualifications in 2023:
NZ2489 - New Zealand Certificate in Animal Management (Companion Animal Strand) (Level 4)
This existing programme is being assessed and revised and will continue in 2023 and beyond.
NZ2491 - New Zealand Diploma in Veterinary Nursing (Level 6)
This one-year programme is available to applicants who have successfully completed the Level 5 New Zealand Certificate in Animal Technology with Veterinary Nursing Assistant strand, or an equivalent. 2023 is the last year it will be available at Ara as it’s being replaced by the two-year New Zealand Diploma in Veterinary Nursing (Companion Animal strand).
New Programmes (Pending Approval)
NZ4388 - New Zealand Certificate in Animal Healthcare Assisting (Level 4)
This newly developed, one-year programme is recommended for individuals who’d like to work with animals, assisting veterinarians and veterinary nurses. It includes 240 hours’ practical work experience with a minimum of 80 hours in a veterinary clinic. Upon successful completion, you’ll have the skills to work in vet clinics as an animal healthcare assistant.
NZ4389 - New Zealand Diploma in Veterinary Nursing (Companion Animal strand) (Level 6)
This completely new programme replaces NZ2490 and NZ2491. It is two-years full-time (240 credits) and includes a minimum of 750 hours of practicum (in a minimum of two different veterinary clinics, with a minimum of 40 hours spent in the second placement).
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Triage emergencies and provide first aid
- Plan and manage nursing care
- Plan and manage infection control processes
- Monitor anaesthesia and assist as a theatre nurse
- Manage patients on intravenous fluid therapy
- Take, process, and analyse diagnostic samples
- Take and process radiographs
- Dispense and administer medications
- Provide nursing consultations and preventative health clinics
- Support clients around the healthcare of their pets
- Provide clinical coaching to students